Monday, September 6, 2010

Your First Pint (3 of 10)

    In honor of their Labor Day event in Houston, I'm posting my third installment of YFP featuring Jennifer Litz, mastermind behind Texas Girls Pint Out, amongst a number of other beer related journalistic things. She was kind enough to share with me her introduction into craft beer.

Craft Beer and the Women Who Love Them
by Jennifer Litz


    "My first pint was a bottle, really. I'd always been a whiskey girl, before my best friend Desi insisted I drink Shiner or I wasn't from Texas.

    But that wasn't the pint that "blue" my mind. THAT "pint" , rather, was Chimay grande reserve. I don't remember the exact circumstances of my first taste -- think I was bein' adventurous at the San Antonio (Flying) Saucer -- but I half-remember many happy recurrences. It was such instant love I barely blinked at the price tag, even though I was a broker-ass editor than now.  That beer turned me into the Belgophile I still am today."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Texas Girls Pint Out is a Houston-based women's craft beer group who focuses on beer education, appreciation, and advocating craft beer, with a focus on Texas beer. Women are finally beginning to be respected as members of the craft beer community (we've come a long way since Susan B...), and Jennifer and the Girls Pint Out group is one of many female-focused craft beer groups around the country. To get involved with, support, promote, etc the Texas Girls Pint Out, follow Jennifer on her blog, and on twitter (@txgirlspintout). Women are people, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment