Thursday, September 2, 2010

Your First Pint (PT. 2 of 10)

Is it too soon? What the hell...

   Here is my second installment of Your First Pint featuring Scott Metzger, owner of Freetail Brewing in San Antonio, TX. Scott is a huge champion of craft beer and is always fighting to make Texas laws easier on craft beer producers. His brewpub has been a godsend to San Antonio as they continually make intriguing, delicious, and off-the-beaten-path craft beers. He was kind enough to tell us about his craft beer awakening:


One of the many great beers at Freetail Brewing

    "Excluding the countless beers consumed out of plastic cups as a minor while I was a student in San Marcos, I think the beer(s) that really thrust me into this world were over my first few days living in the D/FW area for my first job after college.  Since I was the only person within a 15 year radius of a couple of co-workers, we immediately became friends and they invited me out to a Rangers game my first week on the job. 

    We met up at Humperdink’s in Arlington (I’m not sure if they still brew there) and my friend Jay recommended I try a hefe.  Being about 115 degrees outside and my palate being uneducated (I was only recently 21) – it was a pretty life shattering moment.  I can still remember my thought process running along the lines of “Holy shit, beer doesn’t always have to taste like piss!”  After running the gamut of Humperdink’s beers that night we visited the Flying Saucer in Addison the next night as the guys were showing me the area’s cool spots.  The night before had filled me with wide-eyed ambition to try new things, and it was a McEwans Scotch Ale that fully cemented my love for beer.  That sweet, caramel, toffee maltiness blew me away.  To this day my favorite thing to hear people say is “Wow, I never knew beer could be like this!” and it’s probably because I can remember the moment I said those very words.  It’s an even more amazing thing when someone says it about one of your beers."

Stay tuned for more YFP's!

No comments:

Post a Comment